- Walden, by Henry David Thoreau, “is a reflection upon simple living in natural surroundings”.
Published in, 1854, Walden is a first hand account of Thoreau’s experience living off grid. This book is important because it gives my book a historical branch.
- Alone in the Wilderness, is a documentary of Dick Proenneke’s two year adventure living alone in the wilderness. Produced by Bob Swerer, this series I first saw on PBS, many years ago. It was most likely the first actual reality/show/video of living off grid. What is today’s, “tiny house nation, off-grid living, mountain living, and many other popular reality shows, was yesterdays, Alone in the Wilderness. This is a base for the “past” or historical aspect of my book.
- Personal journals of Dick Proenneke are written in a book, One Man’s Wilderness, An Alaskan Odyssey, by a good friend of Dick’s, Sam Keith. These journals are very important and play as reminders on what needs to be included from my own experiences. Historical reference.
- http://www.off-grid.net/ This web site is the base of my research for the “future” aspect.
- http://earthship.com/ is a website that promotes, and explains a form of off grid, sustainable living, that I would like to model in my own life. The web site has a world of information, including links to other sites that are also in relation to my personal goal. It combines modern technology with eco-friendly living, which is what makes it possible for more people to go off grid. “future” section of book.
- http://www.motherearthnews.com/renewable-energy/energy/efficiency/off-grid-living-lessons-zm0z14onzkon.aspx Future aspect of book.
- http://www.aloneinthewilderness.com/ Past aspect